Asparagus with Fresh Tomato Garnish
This quick raw “tomato sauce” makes a beautiful, elegant topping for asparagus spears. This is a great dish for entertaining because it will be just as delicious warm or room temperature.
- 1 pound asparagus, steamed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put asparagus in a steamer basket, place in the pan, cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, shallot, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Serve the asparagus topped with the tomato garnish.
Per serving: 58 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique