Asparagus with Curry Butter
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
A touch of curry-infused butter dresses sauteed asparagus. This quick and delicious side dish would be just as welcome with a grilled cheese sandwich as it would with broiled salmon.
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 bunch asparagus, (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Combine butter, curry powder, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir the curry butter into the asparagus; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Check the ingredient label on your brand of curry powder: if it has added salt (as some do), you may omit the salt in the recipe or salt to taste.
Per serving: 67 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (40% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2009