Asparagus with Anchovies & Garlic
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Think bold Caesar-salad flavors meet asparagus. This preparation will kick you in the taste buds with assertive garlic, spicy red pepper and rich, salty anchovy.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste, or 1 anchovy fillet, minced
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add asparagus, water and anchovy; cook, stirring often, until the asparagus is tender-crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.
Per serving: 93 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 466 mg sodium; 270 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (42% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April/May 2006