Asparagus Topped with Creamy Tarragon Sauce
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
This sauce is like a luscious, creamy bearnaise sauce without all the calories and fat.
- 2 bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put asparagus in a steamer basket, cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, tarragon, lemon juice, water, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle the sauce over the asparagus. Serve warm or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 114 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 350 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (42% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- April/May 2006