This creamless but still creamy soup is a great lunch or summer-night dinner on its own - but you can also spoon it over lump crabmeat, cooked shrimp or cubed tofu for a heftier meal.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 yellow-fleshed potato, such as Yukon Gold (6 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory, or marjoram leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place broth, water, potato, shallot, garlic, thyme, savory (or marjoram) and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potato is tender, about 8 minutes. Add asparagus, return to a simmer, and cook, covered, until the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook prosciutto in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a large blender or food processor (see Tip); puree until smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary. Season with pepper. Serve topped with the crisped prosciutto.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the soup (Steps 1 & 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Top with prosciutto just before serving.
- Hot liquids can splatter out of a blender when it's turned on. To avoid this, remove the center piece of the lid. Loosely cover the hole with a folded kitchen towel and turn the blender on. Better airflow will keep the contents from spewing all over the kitchen.
Per serving: 174 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 5 g fiber; 818 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation