This creamless but still creamy soup is a great lunch or summer-night dinner on its own - but you can also spoon it over lump crabmeat, cooked shrimp or cubed tofu for a heftier meal.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 yellow-fleshed potato, such as Yukon Gold (6 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory, or marjoram leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place broth, water, potato, shallot, garlic, thyme, savory (or marjoram) and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potato is tender, about 8 minutes. Add asparagus, return to a simmer, and cook, covered, until the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook prosciutto in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a large blender or food processor (see Tip); puree until smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary. Season with pepper. Serve topped with the crisped prosciutto.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the soup (Steps 1 & 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Top with prosciutto just before serving.
- Hot liquids can splatter out of a blender when it's turned on. To avoid this, remove the center piece of the lid. Loosely cover the hole with a folded kitchen towel and turn the blender on. Better airflow will keep the contents from spewing all over the kitchen.
Per serving: 174 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 5 g fiber; 818 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique