Asparagus & Smoked Salmon Quiche
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
This healthy quiche recipe is perfect for entertaining—the quiche can be made ahead and is just as flavorful served warm or at room temperature. Made with a whole-grain crust, this healthy quiche—filled with asparagus, smoked salmon and caramelized onions—is perfect for breakfast or brunch, or served with a light salad for lunch.
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup finely chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- To prepare crust: Whisk whole-wheat flour and all-purpose flour with salt in a medium bowl. Cut butter into small pieces; using your fingers, quickly rub the butter into the dry ingredients until smaller but still visible.
- Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist; if the mixture seems dry, add up to 1 more tablespoon water. Knead the dough in the bowl a few times—the mixture may still be a little crumbly—then firmly press into a disk. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add onions and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add water, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and very soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you roll out the crust.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment or wax paper and roll into a 12- to 13-inch circle, dusting the top with a little flour, as needed. (If chilled more than 1 hour, let the dough stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before rolling.) Place the prepared pie pan upside down in the center of the dough. Holding one hand on top of the pan and the other hand underneath the paper, flip pan and dough over so the dough is lining the pan. Remove the paper and patch any tears in the dough. Trim the crust so it evenly overhangs the edge by about 1 inch, then tuck the edges under at the rim and crimp with your fingers or a fork.
- Spread the caramelized onions in the bottom of the crust. Layer asparagus and smoked salmon over the onions and sprinkle with dill. Top with cream cheese. Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, sour cream, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture into the crust.
- Bake the quiche until puffed and firm when touched in the center, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. To serve, cut into 8 pieces.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate caramelized onions (Step 4) for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 276 calories; 15 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 117 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 268 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2014