Asparagus Salad Topped with Poached Eggs
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
This asparagus salad topped with poached eggs is satisfying yet light, making it a nice option for lunch, brunch or even dinner with some crusty bread. Roasting brings out a toasty flavor in the asparagus. We like this salad with medium-set poached eggs so the yolks are still a little runny, but poach your eggs for the full 8 minutes if you prefer hard-set yolks.
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 1 pound each), trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 7-ounce bag baby arugula (about 10 cups)
- 1/2 cup thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss asparagus with 2 teaspoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon oil, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallot and dry mustard in the bowl. Set aside 4 teaspoons of the dressing in a small bowl. # When the asparagus is done, set aside to cool while you poach the eggs.
- When the asparagus is done, set aside to cool while you poach the eggs.
- Break each egg into its own small bowl. Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. Reduce to a gentle simmer: the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan. Submerging the lip of each bowl into the simmering water, gently add the eggs, one at a time. Cook 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean kitchen towel to drain for a minute.
- Toss arugula with the dressing in the large bowl. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top with asparagus and a poached egg and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the reserved dressing. Garnish with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 3) for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To make shaved cheese for topping salads or pasta, use a vegetable peeler to thinly shave slices off a block of hard cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, Asiago or Pecorino Romano.
- Easy cleanup: To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you bake.
Per serving: 239 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 191 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 535 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (60% daily value), Vitamin A (53% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Calcium (23% dv), Iron (16% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2011