Asparagus & Ham Stuffed Potatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Asparagus adds a touch of spring to this overstuffed ham-and-cheese twice-baked potatoes recipe. Use another vegetable, such as broccoli, if you prefer.
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on Medium, turning once or twice, until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add asparagus, cover and steam until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine the steamed asparagus with ham, sour cream, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, 6 tablespoons chives, salt and pepper in a bowl. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut off the top third, then gently scoop out the flesh; add to the bowl with the ham mixture and gently mash together.
- Place the potato shells in a microwave-safe dish and evenly divide the ham mixture among them. (They will be very well stuffed.) Top each stuffed potato with 2 tablespoons of the remaining cheese. Microwave on High until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Garnish with the remaining chives.
Per serving : 386 calories; 13 g fat (8 g sat, 4 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 1196 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (34% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Calcium (29% dv), Folate (22% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2013