Asparagus & Ham Stuffed Potatoes
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Asparagus adds a touch of spring to this overstuffed ham-and-cheese twice-baked potatoes recipe. Use another vegetable, such as broccoli, if you prefer.Add to lose it
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on Medium, turning once or twice, until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add asparagus, cover and steam until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine the steamed asparagus with ham, sour cream, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, 6 tablespoons chives, salt and pepper in a bowl. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut off the top third, then gently scoop out the flesh; add to the bowl with the ham mixture and gently mash together.
- Place the potato shells in a microwave-safe dish and evenly divide the ham mixture among them. (They will be very well stuffed.) Top each stuffed potato with 2 tablespoons of the remaining cheese. Microwave on High until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Garnish with the remaining chives.
Per serving : 386 calories; 13 g fat (8 g sat, 4 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 689 mg sodium; 1196 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (34% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Calcium (29% dv), Folate (22% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013