Asparagus & Canadian Bacon Omelet
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diet (2007)
An omelet is a satisfying meal to start the day, and will give you staying power until your midmorning snack. Although cooking a low-fat omelet may seem complicated at first glance, it will quickly become second nature.
- 10 stalks asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, diced (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring asparagus and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the asparagus is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the water has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add Canadian bacon and oil to the pan and stir to coat. Pour in egg substitute, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the egg is starting to set, about 20 seconds. Continue cooking, lifting the edges so the uncooked egg will flow underneath, until mostly set, about 30 seconds more.
- Sprinkle cheese, salt and pepper over the omelet. Lift up an edge of the omelet and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon water under it. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the egg is completely set and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Fold over using the spatula and serve.
Per serving: 198 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 978 mg sodium; 539 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- The EatingWell Diet (2007)