Asparagus & Canadian Bacon Omelet
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diet (2007)
An omelet is a satisfying meal to start the day, and will give you staying power until your midmorning snack. Although cooking a low-fat omelet may seem complicated at first glance, it will quickly become second nature.
- 10 stalks asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, diced (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring asparagus and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the asparagus is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the water has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add Canadian bacon and oil to the pan and stir to coat. Pour in egg substitute, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the egg is starting to set, about 20 seconds. Continue cooking, lifting the edges so the uncooked egg will flow underneath, until mostly set, about 30 seconds more.
- Sprinkle cheese, salt and pepper over the omelet. Lift up an edge of the omelet and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon water under it. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the egg is completely set and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Fold over using the spatula and serve.
Per serving: 198 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 978 mg sodium; 539 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- The EatingWell Diet (2007)