Asparagus & Canadian Bacon Omelet
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diet (2007)
An omelet is a satisfying meal to start the day, and will give you staying power until your midmorning snack. Although cooking a low-fat omelet may seem complicated at first glance, it will quickly become second nature.
- 10 stalks asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, diced (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring asparagus and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the asparagus is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the water has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add Canadian bacon and oil to the pan and stir to coat. Pour in egg substitute, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the egg is starting to set, about 20 seconds. Continue cooking, lifting the edges so the uncooked egg will flow underneath, until mostly set, about 30 seconds more.
- Sprinkle cheese, salt and pepper over the omelet. Lift up an edge of the omelet and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon water under it. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the egg is completely set and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Fold over using the spatula and serve.
Per serving: 198 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 978 mg sodium; 539 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- The EatingWell Diet (2007)