Asparagus & Canadian Bacon Omelet
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diet (2007)
An omelet is a satisfying meal to start the day, and will give you staying power until your midmorning snack. Although cooking a low-fat omelet may seem complicated at first glance, it will quickly become second nature.
- 10 stalks asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 2 slices Canadian bacon, diced (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring asparagus and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the asparagus is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the water has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add Canadian bacon and oil to the pan and stir to coat. Pour in egg substitute, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the egg is starting to set, about 20 seconds. Continue cooking, lifting the edges so the uncooked egg will flow underneath, until mostly set, about 30 seconds more.
- Sprinkle cheese, salt and pepper over the omelet. Lift up an edge of the omelet and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon water under it. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the egg is completely set and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Fold over using the spatula and serve.
Per serving: 198 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 978 mg sodium; 539 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Selenium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- The EatingWell Diet (2007)