Asian Turkey Burgers
Hoisin sauce gives these burgers a juicy texture, while ginger and garlic provide a burst of flavor, and water chestnuts deliver an appealing crunch. Serve them over tender greens or on toasted whole-wheat buns.
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 12 ounces lean ground turkey breast (see Tips)
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see Tips)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- To prepare burgers: Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add ground turkey, water chestnuts, hoisin, scallions, ginger, garlic and salt; mix well. (The mixture will be moist.) With dampened hands, form the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties (see Tips).
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Brush the patties with 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil. Grill until browned and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.)
- To prepare sesame mayonnaise: Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, soy sauce and oil in a small bowl; whisk until blended. Serve the burgers with the mayonnaise.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare patties (Step 2), wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 8 hours or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking. Prepare sesame mayonnaise (Step 4); cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: Check labels carefully and select ground turkey breast. Regular ground turkey, which is a mixture of dark and white meat, has a higher fat content (similar to that of lean ground beef).
- Hoisin sauce is a thick, dark brown, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket.
- When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 237 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 351 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)