Asian-Style Grilled Tofu with Greens
Look for Asian greens (tatsoi, mizuna and/or pea shoots) packaged as a salad mix. They're slightly more bitter than many spring greens and will stand up well to this aromatic, vinegary dressing.
- 1 small carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup prepared carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons white or yellow miso, (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Tofu & Greens
- 28 ounces water-packed firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 ounces mixed Asian greens, or baby spinach
- To prepare dressing: Puree carrot, carrot juice, miso, vinegar, oil, ginger and garlic in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- To prepare tofu: Slice each tofu block crosswise into 5 slices; pat dry with paper towels. Combine honey, oil, soy sauce, black bean-garlic sauce and garlic in a small bowl. Spread half the marinade in a large baking dish and top with the tofu slices. Spread the remaining marinade over the tofu, covering completely.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the tofu until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. To serve, toss greens with the dressing. Divide among 6 plates and top with the tofu.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: The color of miso (fermented soybean paste) depends on how long it's aged. In general, the lighter the color, the milder the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for more than a year.
- Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine. It can be found in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets or at Asian markets. Use it in stir-fries and marinades for beef, chicken or tofu.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 240 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 4 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat (mono
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy