Asian-Style Grilled Tofu with Greens
Look for Asian greens (tatsoi, mizuna and/or pea shoots) packaged as a salad mix. They're slightly more bitter than many spring greens and will stand up well to this aromatic, vinegary dressing.
- 1 small carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup prepared carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons white or yellow miso, (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Tofu & Greens
- 28 ounces water-packed firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 ounces mixed Asian greens, or baby spinach
- To prepare dressing: Puree carrot, carrot juice, miso, vinegar, oil, ginger and garlic in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- To prepare tofu: Slice each tofu block crosswise into 5 slices; pat dry with paper towels. Combine honey, oil, soy sauce, black bean-garlic sauce and garlic in a small bowl. Spread half the marinade in a large baking dish and top with the tofu slices. Spread the remaining marinade over the tofu, covering completely.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the tofu until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. To serve, toss greens with the dressing. Divide among 6 plates and top with the tofu.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: The color of miso (fermented soybean paste) depends on how long it's aged. In general, the lighter the color, the milder the flavor. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for more than a year.
- Black bean-garlic sauce, a savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking, is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine. It can be found in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets or at Asian markets. Use it in stir-fries and marinades for beef, chicken or tofu.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 240 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 4 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat (mono
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)