Asian Slaw with Tofu & Shiitake Mushrooms
A simple slaw is given an Asian twist with bok choy, napa cabbage and a soy-wasabi dressing. The vibrant flavors and rich textures make this a great introduction to tofu for novices and skeptics.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder, (see Note)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 ounces firm silken tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups lightly packed shredded napa cabbage, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded bok choy, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Whisk soy sauce, lemon juice, wasabi powder and garlic in a medium bowl. Gently stir in tofu. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place cabbage and bok choy in a large serving bowl.
- Drain the tofu, reserving the marinade. Heat canola oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sesame oil; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the tofu; cook, stirring often, until the tofu is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon the tofu mixture over cabbage. Add the reserved marinade to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring. Pour the hot marinade over the salad and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Wasabi, a fiery condiment similar to horseradish, is made from the root of an Asian plant. It is available, as both a paste and a powder, in specialty stores and Asian markets.
- Ingredient Notes: Look for heads of napa that are tight, without any browned leaves.
- The best bok choy has large dark green leaves and small white stems—more leaf and less stem makes for a less bitter taste.
Per serving: 178 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 330 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Selenium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian