Asian Slaw with Tofu & Shiitake Mushrooms
A simple slaw is given an Asian twist with bok choy, napa cabbage and a soy-wasabi dressing. The vibrant flavors and rich textures make this a great introduction to tofu for novices and skeptics.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder, (see Note)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 ounces firm silken tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups lightly packed shredded napa cabbage, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded bok choy, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Whisk soy sauce, lemon juice, wasabi powder and garlic in a medium bowl. Gently stir in tofu. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place cabbage and bok choy in a large serving bowl.
- Drain the tofu, reserving the marinade. Heat canola oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sesame oil; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the tofu; cook, stirring often, until the tofu is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon the tofu mixture over cabbage. Add the reserved marinade to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring. Pour the hot marinade over the salad and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Wasabi, a fiery condiment similar to horseradish, is made from the root of an Asian plant. It is available, as both a paste and a powder, in specialty stores and Asian markets.
- Ingredient Notes: Look for heads of napa that are tight, without any browned leaves.
- The best bok choy has large dark green leaves and small white stems—more leaf and less stem makes for a less bitter taste.
Per serving: 178 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 330 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Selenium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy