Asian Slaw with Tofu & Shiitake Mushrooms
A simple slaw is given an Asian twist with bok choy, napa cabbage and a soy-wasabi dressing. The vibrant flavors and rich textures make this a great introduction to tofu for novices and skeptics.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder, (see Note)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 ounces firm silken tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups lightly packed shredded napa cabbage, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded bok choy, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Whisk soy sauce, lemon juice, wasabi powder and garlic in a medium bowl. Gently stir in tofu. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place cabbage and bok choy in a large serving bowl.
- Drain the tofu, reserving the marinade. Heat canola oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sesame oil; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the tofu; cook, stirring often, until the tofu is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon the tofu mixture over cabbage. Add the reserved marinade to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring. Pour the hot marinade over the salad and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Wasabi, a fiery condiment similar to horseradish, is made from the root of an Asian plant. It is available, as both a paste and a powder, in specialty stores and Asian markets.
- Ingredient Notes: Look for heads of napa that are tight, without any browned leaves.
- The best bok choy has large dark green leaves and small white stems—more leaf and less stem makes for a less bitter taste.
Per serving: 178 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 330 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Selenium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy