Asian Green Bean Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Pungent and savory black bean-garlic sauce is the secret ingredient in this ultra-quick stir-fry.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 14-ounce can mixed stir-fry vegetables, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables, thawed
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green beans and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring often, until seared in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes for tender-crisp or 6 minutes for tender. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, add stir-fry vegetables and black bean-garlic sauce. Cook, stirring often, until heated through and most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce: This savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine. Found in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets or at Asian markets. Use it in stir-fries and marinades for beef, chicken or tofu.
Per serving: 59 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 238 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin K (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006