Asian Green Bean Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Pungent and savory black bean-garlic sauce is the secret ingredient in this ultra-quick stir-fry.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 14-ounce can mixed stir-fry vegetables, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables, thawed
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green beans and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring often, until seared in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes for tender-crisp or 6 minutes for tender. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, add stir-fry vegetables and black bean-garlic sauce. Cook, stirring often, until heated through and most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce: This savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine. Found in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets or at Asian markets. Use it in stir-fries and marinades for beef, chicken or tofu.
Per serving: 59 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 238 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin K (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006