Asian Green Bean Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Pungent and savory black bean-garlic sauce is the secret ingredient in this ultra-quick stir-fry.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 14-ounce can mixed stir-fry vegetables, rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables, thawed
- 1 tablespoon black bean-garlic sauce, (see Ingredient note)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green beans and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring often, until seared in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes for tender-crisp or 6 minutes for tender. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, add stir-fry vegetables and black bean-garlic sauce. Cook, stirring often, until heated through and most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce: This savory, salty sauce used in Chinese cooking is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine. Found in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets or at Asian markets. Use it in stir-fries and marinades for beef, chicken or tofu.
Per serving: 59 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 327 mg sodium; 238 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin K (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- December 2005/January 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)