Asian-Inspired Chicken Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
What is so obliging about this hearty chicken soup is that you can add any vegetables that suit your fancy: napa or Savoy cabbage, mushrooms, Chinese broccoli, broccolini, onions, leeks, mustard or turnip greens, celery or whatever tickles your bonnet. Just be sure that you don’t overcook the vegetables. Spice it up with Asian-style chile sauce, such as sriracha, and/or serve the soup over noodles to make it a more substantial main dish.
- 1/2 ounce (about 1/2 cup) dried shiitake or mixed dried mushrooms
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or canola oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 1/8-inch-thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 2-to-3-inch stick cinnamon
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 scallions, whites cut into 2-inch pieces and greens chopped, divided
- 1 pound bok choy, preferably baby bok choy, white stems sliced lengthwise and greens chopped, divided
- 2 cups (4 ounces) mung bean sprouts (see Note)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Place mushrooms in a heatproof measuring cup and cover with boiling water. Soak for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours. Remove the mushrooms from the water, remove and discard stems (if any) and cut into 1/8-inch slices; set aside. Strain the soaking liquid and reserve.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Pour in the reserved mushroom liquid, broth, soy sauce, cinnamon stick, star anise and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in chicken. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in fennel, scallion whites and the reserved mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add bok choy stems, return to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in bok choy greens and bean sprouts. Cook until the greens are just wilted, about 2 minutes more.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and star anise. Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each bowl with scallion greens, cilantro and a 1/4-teaspoon drizzle of sesame oil. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Mung bean sprouts (germinated mung beans), often simply labeled “bean sprouts,” are white with a light yellow tip and are thicker than more common alfalfa sprouts.
Per serving: 258 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 3 g fiber; 717 mg sodium; 834 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (54% daily value), Vitamin C (48% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (20% dv), Zinc (19% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- March/April 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)