Arugula & Strawberry Salad
A rich source of iron and vitamins A and C, arugula is nonetheless in desperate need of balancing—here, with aged balsamic vinegar, walnuts and strawberries, another one of springtime's jewels.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups baby arugula, or torn arugula leaves
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, (about 10 ounces)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved and crumbled into small pieces (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a salad bowl; let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add arugula, strawberries, Parmesan, pepper and salt. Sprinkle vinegar and oil over the salad; toss gently and serve at once.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Aged balsamic vinegar (12 years or older) is a treat, but not an economical one. If you don't want to spring for a $40 bottle, use regular balsamic. Alternatively, bring 1/2 cup regular balsamic vinegar to a boil over high heat in a small skillet. Cook until the vinegar begins to thicken and become syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation