Arugula & Prosciutto Pizza
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Sautéed onions, prosciutto and fontina cheese flavor this white pizza. Topping the hot-out-of-the-oven pizza with fresh greens and diced tomatoes gives it a delicious, summery twist. We use store-bought pizza dough to keep it quick. Serve with: Crunchy vegetables and your favorite dip.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup shredded fontina or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups packed coarsely chopped arugula
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- Position oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, prosciutto and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until the onion is beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Spread the onion mixture evenly over the crust and top with cheese. Bake until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with arugula and tomato.
Per serving: 306 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 140 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2009