Arugula & Pear Salad
Besides giving this salad a nutty crunch, walnuts are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, as well as vitamins, minerals, protein and antioxidants. For an added flavor dimension, crumble some Gorgonzola cheese over each salad.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 firm red Bartlett pears
- 5 cups butterhead lettuce, (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups arugula, trimmed
- To prepare dressing: Whisk shallot, broth, oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- To prepare salad: Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Just before serving, cut pears into 16 slices each. Place in a large bowl. Spoon on 1 tablespoon of the dressing and toss to coat. Add lettuce, arugula and the remaining dressing; toss well. Divide among 8 plates. Top with the walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 132 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 211 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer