Arugula & Pear Salad
Besides giving this salad a nutty crunch, walnuts are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, as well as vitamins, minerals, protein and antioxidants. For an added flavor dimension, crumble some Gorgonzola cheese over each salad.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 firm red Bartlett pears
- 5 cups butterhead lettuce, (Bibb or Boston), torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups arugula, trimmed
- To prepare dressing: Whisk shallot, broth, oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- To prepare salad: Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Just before serving, cut pears into 16 slices each. Place in a large bowl. Spoon on 1 tablespoon of the dressing and toss to coat. Add lettuce, arugula and the remaining dressing; toss well. Divide among 8 plates. Top with the walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 132 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 211 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer