Arugula & Feta Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This fresh arugula and feta salad recipe is dressed with a tangy strawberry vinaigrette made from a base of fresh pureed strawberries. If you can't find the sweetest strawberries, don’t worry—strawberries with a little more pucker are wonderfully suited to salads, salad dressings and vinaigrette recipes, as we use them here.
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled, divided
- 1 spring onion or scallion, trimmed
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2-1 teaspoon agave nectar or sugar (optional)
- 10 cups arugula (about 5 ounces), trimmed if necessary
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Puree 4 strawberries and onion (or scallion) in a small food processor or blender until chopped. Add garlic, vinegar, oil, tarragon, mustard, salt and pepper; pulse until well combined. Taste and add a little agave (or sugar) if the dressing is too tart.
- Toss arugula and feta in a large bowl. Slice the remaining strawberries and add to the bowl. Toss the salad with the dressing.
Per serving: 118 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 medium fat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2013