From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Why not use cooler-weather vegetables like broccoli and arugula as an unconventional pizza topping? The arugula adds a slightly bitter, peppery tasteâ€”for a milder flavor, use spinach instead. Serve with wedges of fresh tomato tossed with vinegar, olive oil, basil and freshly ground pepper.
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 ounces arugula ,any tough stems removed, chopped (about 6 cups)
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Position oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450Â°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli and water in a large skillet over medium heat, covered, until the broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in arugula and cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread pesto evenly over the crust, top with the broccoli mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 323 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Calcium (34% dv), Vitamin A (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, thereâ€™s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether youâ€™re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isnâ€™t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summerâ€™s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When itâ€™s chilly outside, thereâ€™s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- September/October 2009