Artichokes with Balsamic Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Dipping artichoke leaves one by one into balsamic vinaigrette until you reach the meaty heart is a leisurely way to begin a meal.
- 1 lemon
- 3 quarts water plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut lemon in half. Slice 1 half and reserve the other half for rubbing over artichokes. Place 3 quarts water, wine, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and the lemon slices in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pull off the short tough outer leaves of each artichoke. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of the artichoke. Using scissors, trim off the sharp points of the remaining leaves. Rub the whole artichoke, especially the cut portions, with the cut side of the lemon half.
- Add the artichokes to the pot and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, discarding lemon slices and herbs, and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the artichokes with the vinaigrette for dipping.
Per serving: 95 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)