Artichokes with Balsamic Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Dipping artichoke leaves one by one into balsamic vinaigrette until you reach the meaty heart is a leisurely way to begin a meal.
- 1 lemon
- 3 quarts water plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut lemon in half. Slice 1 half and reserve the other half for rubbing over artichokes. Place 3 quarts water, wine, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and the lemon slices in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pull off the short tough outer leaves of each artichoke. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of the artichoke. Using scissors, trim off the sharp points of the remaining leaves. Rub the whole artichoke, especially the cut portions, with the cut side of the lemon half.
- Add the artichokes to the pot and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, discarding lemon slices and herbs, and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the artichokes with the vinaigrette for dipping.
Per serving: 95 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1994