Artichokes with Balsamic Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Dipping artichoke leaves one by one into balsamic vinaigrette until you reach the meaty heart is a leisurely way to begin a meal.
- 1 lemon
- 3 quarts water plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut lemon in half. Slice 1 half and reserve the other half for rubbing over artichokes. Place 3 quarts water, wine, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and the lemon slices in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pull off the short tough outer leaves of each artichoke. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of the artichoke. Using scissors, trim off the sharp points of the remaining leaves. Rub the whole artichoke, especially the cut portions, with the cut side of the lemon half.
- Add the artichokes to the pot and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, discarding lemon slices and herbs, and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the artichokes with the vinaigrette for dipping.
Per serving: 95 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 1994