Artichokes with Balsamic Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Dipping artichoke leaves one by one into balsamic vinaigrette until you reach the meaty heart is a leisurely way to begin a meal.
- 1 lemon
- 3 quarts water plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut lemon in half. Slice 1 half and reserve the other half for rubbing over artichokes. Place 3 quarts water, wine, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and the lemon slices in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pull off the short tough outer leaves of each artichoke. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of the artichoke. Using scissors, trim off the sharp points of the remaining leaves. Rub the whole artichoke, especially the cut portions, with the cut side of the lemon half.
- Add the artichokes to the pot and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, discarding lemon slices and herbs, and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the artichokes with the vinaigrette for dipping.
Per serving: 95 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 1994