Artichokes Stewed with Potatoes, Carrots & Leeks (Anginares Politi)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
There was a time when Anginares Politi was like saying “Artichokes Big Apple.” Politi means from the city, and for centuries Constantinople was the New York of the Greek-speaking world. If you cannot find small artichokes, you can use five large ones with the hearts cut into quarters.
- 10 artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 8), scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 pound carrots (about 6), peeled, split lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound leeks (about 4), white and light green parts only, split lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Cut trimmed artichokes in half lengthwise. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes, potatoes, carrots, leeks, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add parsley, dill, mint, lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool; serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 106 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (178% daily value), Vitamin C (47% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 1994