Artichokes Stewed with Potatoes, Carrots & Leeks (Anginares Politi)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
There was a time when Anginares Politi was like saying “Artichokes Big Apple.” Politi means from the city, and for centuries Constantinople was the New York of the Greek-speaking world. If you cannot find small artichokes, you can use five large ones with the hearts cut into quarters.
- 10 artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 8), scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 pound carrots (about 6), peeled, split lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound leeks (about 4), white and light green parts only, split lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Cut trimmed artichokes in half lengthwise. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes, potatoes, carrots, leeks, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add parsley, dill, mint, lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool; serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 106 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (178% daily value), Vitamin C (47% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1994