Artichokes Stewed with Potatoes, Carrots & Leeks (Anginares Politi)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
There was a time when Anginares Politi was like saying “Artichokes Big Apple.” Politi means from the city, and for centuries Constantinople was the New York of the Greek-speaking world. If you cannot find small artichokes, you can use five large ones with the hearts cut into quarters.
- 10 artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 8), scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 pound carrots (about 6), peeled, split lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound leeks (about 4), white and light green parts only, split lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Cut trimmed artichokes in half lengthwise. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes, potatoes, carrots, leeks, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add parsley, dill, mint, lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool; serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 106 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (178% daily value), Vitamin C (47% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 1994