Artichokes Stewed with Potatoes, Carrots & Leeks (Anginares Politi)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
There was a time when Anginares Politi was like saying “Artichokes Big Apple.” Politi means from the city, and for centuries Constantinople was the New York of the Greek-speaking world. If you cannot find small artichokes, you can use five large ones with the hearts cut into quarters.
- 10 artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 8), scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 pound carrots (about 6), peeled, split lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound leeks (about 4), white and light green parts only, split lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Cut trimmed artichokes in half lengthwise. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes, potatoes, carrots, leeks, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add parsley, dill, mint, lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool; serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 106 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (178% daily value), Vitamin C (47% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 1994