Artichoke & Tomato Gratin
From EatingWell: April 1998
Looking for another way to use summer-fresh tomatoes? Layer them with high-fiber artichokes for a quick and satisfying side dish. Make it a meal: Serve alongside grilled chicken and steamed new potatoes.
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Overlap artichokes and tomatoes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over vegetables and drizzle with oil.
- Bake until top is golden, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 103 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 217 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique