Artichoke & Tomato Gratin
From EatingWell: April 1998
Looking for another way to use summer-fresh tomatoes? Layer them with high-fiber artichokes for a quick and satisfying side dish. Make it a meal: Serve alongside grilled chicken and steamed new potatoes.
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Overlap artichokes and tomatoes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over vegetables and drizzle with oil.
- Bake until top is golden, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 103 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 217 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April 1998