Artichoke & Tomato Gratin
From EatingWell: April 1998
Looking for another way to use summer-fresh tomatoes? Layer them with high-fiber artichokes for a quick and satisfying side dish. Make it a meal: Serve alongside grilled chicken and steamed new potatoes.
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Overlap artichokes and tomatoes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over vegetables and drizzle with oil.
- Bake until top is golden, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 103 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 217 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique