Artichoke & Tomato Gratin
From EatingWell: April 1998
Looking for another way to use summer-fresh tomatoes? Layer them with high-fiber artichokes for a quick and satisfying side dish. Make it a meal: Serve alongside grilled chicken and steamed new potatoes.
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Overlap artichokes and tomatoes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over vegetables and drizzle with oil.
- Bake until top is golden, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 103 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 217 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less