Artichoke & Tomato Gratin
From EatingWell: April 1998
Looking for another way to use summer-fresh tomatoes? Layer them with high-fiber artichokes for a quick and satisfying side dish. Make it a meal: Serve alongside grilled chicken and steamed new potatoes.
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Overlap artichokes and tomatoes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over vegetables and drizzle with oil.
- Bake until top is golden, about 25 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 103 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 217 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique