From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Whisking an egg yolk at the end yields a creamy, decadent result in this lemony artichoke soup. Make it a meal: Make Tomato-Basil Finger Sandwiches while the artichokes are simmering and dinner is ready in a snap!
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut trimmed artichokes into thin wedges. Heat oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add the artichokes, leek, potato, celery and bay leaf; sauté until the leek starts to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes and artichokes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Let the soup cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and egg yolk in a small bowl. Slowly add the egg mixture to soup, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 684 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- March/April 1994