From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Whisking an egg yolk at the end yields a creamy, decadent result in this lemony artichoke soup. Make it a meal: Make Tomato-Basil Finger Sandwiches while the artichokes are simmering and dinner is ready in a snap!
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut trimmed artichokes into thin wedges. Heat oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add the artichokes, leek, potato, celery and bay leaf; sauté until the leek starts to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes and artichokes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Let the soup cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and egg yolk in a small bowl. Slowly add the egg mixture to soup, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 684 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994