From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Whisking an egg yolk at the end yields a creamy, decadent result in this lemony artichoke soup. Make it a meal: Make Tomato-Basil Finger Sandwiches while the artichokes are simmering and dinner is ready in a snap!
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut trimmed artichokes into thin wedges. Heat oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add the artichokes, leek, potato, celery and bay leaf; sauté until the leek starts to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes and artichokes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Let the soup cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and egg yolk in a small bowl. Slowly add the egg mixture to soup, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 684 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994