From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Whisking an egg yolk at the end yields a creamy, decadent result in this lemony artichoke soup. Make it a meal: Make Tomato-Basil Finger Sandwiches while the artichokes are simmering and dinner is ready in a snap!
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut trimmed artichokes into thin wedges. Heat oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add the artichokes, leek, potato, celery and bay leaf; sauté until the leek starts to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes and artichokes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Let the soup cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and egg yolk in a small bowl. Slowly add the egg mixture to soup, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 684 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)