From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Whisking an egg yolk at the end yields a creamy, decadent result in this lemony artichoke soup. Make it a meal: Make Tomato-Basil Finger Sandwiches while the artichokes are simmering and dinner is ready in a snap!
- 4 large artichokes, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut trimmed artichokes into thin wedges. Heat oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add the artichokes, leek, potato, celery and bay leaf; sauté until the leek starts to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes and artichokes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Let the soup cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice and egg yolk in a small bowl. Slowly add the egg mixture to soup, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 142 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 684 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994