Artichoke & Potato Gratin
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Fresh artichokes and potatoes combine in this tasty gratin. Serve with Pan-Roasted Chicken & Gravy and Brussels Sprouts with Walnut-Lemon Vinaigrette.
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 whole lemon, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 artichokes, (about 12 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes,peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Combine Parmesan and garlic in a small bowl; set aside.
- To prepare artichokes, fill a large bowl with cold water. Juice the lemon and add to the water; add the lemon halves to the water as well. Peel away all the outer leaves of the artichokes, snapping the leaves off at the base until the fuzzy choke is visible. Trim off the leaves with a paring knife, removing any fibrous green portions. Trim the bottom 1/4 inch off the stem and pare away the tough outer skin. Remove the choke with a melon baller or knife. Slice the stem and heart into thin slices and drop into the lemon water. Repeat with the remaining artichokes.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices (a food processor does the job nicely) and spread half of them in the prepared dish. Drain the artichokes, discarding the lemon halves, and place them on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons lemon juice, followed by salt, pepper and half of the Parmesan mixture over the artichokes. Layer the remaining potatoes on top. Pour broth over the vegetables and cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake until the potatoes are very tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Combine the remaining Parmesan mixture with breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the potatoes. Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 194 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 8 g fiber; 477 mg sodium; 914 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Folate (21% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1996
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)