Arroz con Pollo
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Arroz con pollo, or chicken cooked with rice, is a common dish in Spain, Latin America and the Caribbean. We use quick-cooking brown rice here to help you get this on the table in just 40 minutes. Serve with a mixed green salad tossed with cilantro-lime vinaigrette.
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (about 8 pieces), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add half the chicken pieces, skinned-side down. Cook until browned on one side, 4 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken; transfer to the plate.
- Add onion, garlic and tomato sauce to the pot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, return the chicken to the pot, cover and simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F, 8 minutes. Stir in vegetables, cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve the chicken over the rice.
Per serving: 378 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 735 mg sodium; 506 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Zinc (24% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- January/February 2011