Arroz con Pollo
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Arroz con pollo, or chicken cooked with rice, is a common dish in Spain, Latin America and the Caribbean. We use quick-cooking brown rice here to help you get this on the table in just 40 minutes. Serve with a mixed green salad tossed with cilantro-lime vinaigrette.
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (about 8 pieces), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add half the chicken pieces, skinned-side down. Cook until browned on one side, 4 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken; transfer to the plate.
- Add onion, garlic and tomato sauce to the pot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, return the chicken to the pot, cover and simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F, 8 minutes. Stir in vegetables, cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve the chicken over the rice.
Per serving: 378 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 735 mg sodium; 506 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Zinc (24% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2011