Arctic Char on a Bed of Kale
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Arctic char, related to salmon and trout, is sustainably farmed, making it a “best choice” for the environment. It has a mild flavor and cooks up quickly. We like the taste and texture of Lacinato (a.k.a. Dinosaur) kale in this dish. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (14-16 cups)
- 1 pound skinned arctic char or salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook shallot, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, water and half the kale; cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining kale and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper and place on the kale. Cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, horseradish and dill in a bowl. Serve the fish and kale with the sauce and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 335 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 1135 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (353% daily value), Vitamin C (230% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Calcium & Iron (24% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), good source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2009