Arctic Char on a Bed of Kale
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Arctic char, related to salmon and trout, is sustainably farmed, making it a “best choice” for the environment. It has a mild flavor and cooks up quickly. We like the taste and texture of Lacinato (a.k.a. Dinosaur) kale in this dish. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (14-16 cups)
- 1 pound skinned arctic char or salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook shallot, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, water and half the kale; cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining kale and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper and place on the kale. Cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, horseradish and dill in a bowl. Serve the fish and kale with the sauce and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 335 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 1135 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (353% daily value), Vitamin C (230% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Calcium & Iron (24% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), good source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- September/October 2009