Arctic Char on a Bed of Kale
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Arctic char, related to salmon and trout, is sustainably farmed, making it a “best choice” for the environment. It has a mild flavor and cooks up quickly. We like the taste and texture of Lacinato (a.k.a. Dinosaur) kale in this dish. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1 1/2 pounds kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (14-16 cups)
- 1 pound skinned arctic char or salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook shallot, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, water and half the kale; cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add the remaining kale and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper and place on the kale. Cover and cook until the fish is just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, horseradish and dill in a bowl. Serve the fish and kale with the sauce and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 335 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 1135 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (353% daily value), Vitamin C (230% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Calcium & Iron (24% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), good source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2009