April Fool's Sundaes
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Fool your friends with this sweet imitation of eggs sunnyside up—it's actually vanilla frozen yogurt and mango sorbet!
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, softened
- 1/2 pint mango, passion fruit or peach sorbet, softened
- 1 cup Raspberry Sauce, optional (recipe follows)
- Place 4 breakfast or dessert plates in the freezer. To soften frozen yogurt and sorbet, whip in the chilled mixing bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (Alternatively, place the containers in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Or soften in the microwave on Medium-Low; allow 30 to 60 seconds for a 1-pint container.)
- Scoop frozen yogurt with a 4-ounce ice cream scoop, packing it firmly and flattening the surface with a metal spatula. Release the scoops onto the cold plates. Flatten the scoops with a small metal spatula or the back of a spoon to form rounds about 3 1/4 inches in diameter. Make a small indentation in the tops and taper the edges so that the rounds resemble the whites of fried eggs. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer to firm up for at least 20 minutes.
- Fill a 1 1/2 or 2-ounce ice cream scoop half full with sorbet. Flatten the surface. Set the “yolks” on the “whites.” Cover and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up before serving. Serve with Raspberry Marinara Sauce, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4-ounce ice-cream scoop and 1 1/2- or 2-ounce scoop, preferably scoops with spring-operated release levers
Per serving: 155 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 214 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1996