April Fool's Sundaes
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Fool your friends with this sweet imitation of eggs sunnyside up—it's actually vanilla frozen yogurt and mango sorbet!
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, softened
- 1/2 pint mango, passion fruit or peach sorbet, softened
- 1 cup Raspberry Sauce, optional (recipe follows)
- Place 4 breakfast or dessert plates in the freezer. To soften frozen yogurt and sorbet, whip in the chilled mixing bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (Alternatively, place the containers in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Or soften in the microwave on Medium-Low; allow 30 to 60 seconds for a 1-pint container.)
- Scoop frozen yogurt with a 4-ounce ice cream scoop, packing it firmly and flattening the surface with a metal spatula. Release the scoops onto the cold plates. Flatten the scoops with a small metal spatula or the back of a spoon to form rounds about 3 1/4 inches in diameter. Make a small indentation in the tops and taper the edges so that the rounds resemble the whites of fried eggs. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer to firm up for at least 20 minutes.
- Fill a 1 1/2 or 2-ounce ice cream scoop half full with sorbet. Flatten the surface. Set the “yolks” on the “whites.” Cover and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up before serving. Serve with Raspberry Marinara Sauce, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4-ounce ice-cream scoop and 1 1/2- or 2-ounce scoop, preferably scoops with spring-operated release levers
Per serving: 155 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 214 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1996
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)