Apricot Rum Balls
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Quick and easy to make, these apricot-based bonbons are perfect for gifts or last-minute bake-sale contributions.
- 10 ounces dried apricots, (1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light or dark rum
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate
- Combine apricots and hazelnuts in a food processor; pulse just until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in sugar, rum and orange zest. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls, arranging them close together in rows on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Remove the top pan from the heat and let stand for 1 minute to cool slightly. Dip a table knife into the melted chocolate and drizzle it decoratively over the tops of the candies. (Alternatively, spoon the chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag and cut a tiny hole in one corner. Pipe the chocolate over the candies.) Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, at least 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast hazelnuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per rum ball: 87 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994