Apricot Rum Balls
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Quick and easy to make, these apricot-based bonbons are perfect for gifts or last-minute bake-sale contributions.
- 10 ounces dried apricots, (1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light or dark rum
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate
- Combine apricots and hazelnuts in a food processor; pulse just until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in sugar, rum and orange zest. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls, arranging them close together in rows on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Remove the top pan from the heat and let stand for 1 minute to cool slightly. Dip a table knife into the melted chocolate and drizzle it decoratively over the tops of the candies. (Alternatively, spoon the chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag and cut a tiny hole in one corner. Pipe the chocolate over the candies.) Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, at least 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast hazelnuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per rum ball: 87 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994