Apricot Rum Balls
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Quick and easy to make, these apricot-based bonbons are perfect for gifts or last-minute bake-sale contributions.
- 10 ounces dried apricots, (1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light or dark rum
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate
- Combine apricots and hazelnuts in a food processor; pulse just until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in sugar, rum and orange zest. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls, arranging them close together in rows on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Remove the top pan from the heat and let stand for 1 minute to cool slightly. Dip a table knife into the melted chocolate and drizzle it decoratively over the tops of the candies. (Alternatively, spoon the chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag and cut a tiny hole in one corner. Pipe the chocolate over the candies.) Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, at least 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast hazelnuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per rum ball: 87 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)