Apricot Rum Balls
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Quick and easy to make, these apricot-based bonbons are perfect for gifts or last-minute bake-sale contributions.
- 10 ounces dried apricots, (1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light or dark rum
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate
- Combine apricots and hazelnuts in a food processor; pulse just until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in sugar, rum and orange zest. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls, arranging them close together in rows on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Remove the top pan from the heat and let stand for 1 minute to cool slightly. Dip a table knife into the melted chocolate and drizzle it decoratively over the tops of the candies. (Alternatively, spoon the chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag and cut a tiny hole in one corner. Pipe the chocolate over the candies.) Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, at least 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast hazelnuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per rum ball: 87 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 9 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994