From EatingWell: July/August 1995
These pretty streusel-topped bars are quick to make and easy to transport. Made with unsweetened apricot preserves, they are a good source of potassium and beta carotene.
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons apple or cranberry juice
- 1 10-ounce jar apricot preserves, preferably “all-fruit” (1 scant cup)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Work together oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda with your fingertips in a large bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Drizzle oil and fruit juice over the oats and mix in with your fingertips until evenly moistened and crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for the topping; press the remainder evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread apricot preserves over the top. Sprinkle with the reserved oat topping.
- Bake until golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per bar: 164 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995